
"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face" -Mike Tyson
So, I didn't really get punched in the face, but I definitely didn't plan for this!
Last Tuesday I went in for my weekly check-up. My regular doctor was out of town so I was seeing someone I had never see before. When my blood pressure was taken it was high and there was protein in my urine. The doctor came in and said {in a voice that had no kindness in it} that I had to go to the lab for tests immediately and if they came back negative I had to be induced that night, and I was going on bed rest!!! At this point I was crying! {1. I am pregnant and therefore carry a special card to cry whenever I want and 2. That was a lot of scary information to hear at one time and I was worried.} The doctor just looked at me and said, " Well, why are you crying?!" As if there should be no reason to be crying over this news.
All the labs were closed so I was sent to the hospital for the lab work. Which meant putting on a gown, and getting wrist bands put in and getting hooked up with the baby heart rate monitor {good practice for the real thing!}. Two hours later after getting blood drawn, and giving a urine sample, and monitoring my blood pressure, the nurse tells me I am just fine, BUT I still have to stay on bed rest just in case my blood pressure goes up again until I see my doctor again on Friday. Really!?!? There are two days of school left, the very last two days of school!!!
I am a "cross my T's and dot my I's" kind of gal so the thought of having to call in sick for the last two days was a little frustrating. I DID NOT prepare for this! {In my past three years of teaching I have NEVER called in sick...EVER} I wasn't worried about my health or the baby's health. Oh no, I was worried about who was going to take my classes the next day and put in all of the students' exam grades and final grades, and when I was going to get back to my classroom to finish packing up my room for the summer. I seriously considered just going to work anyway and forgetting about the bed rest. But, I didn't. I listened to the doctor's orders and stayed home all day Tuesday and all day Wednesday.
I saw MY doctor again Friday morning and was perfectly healthy. The most frustrating part is the nurse at the hospital said if I had seen my doctor in the first place he probably wouldn't have put me on bed rest as he is a lot more laid back than Dr. No Sympathy!
So, Mike Tyson, you are right...I had a plan, but then got punched in the face!! One of the first things I need to start realizing is my life isn't going to go according to plan, especially now that I have a kid on the way. And I better get used to calling in sick if I do decide to go back to work next year.
On a side note, school is officially out for the summer which means no more pencils, no more books, and no more student's dirty looks!!
Let the dog-days of summer begin...at least until the baby comes :)
So, I didn't really get punched in the face, but I definitely didn't plan for this!
Last Tuesday I went in for my weekly check-up. My regular doctor was out of town so I was seeing someone I had never see before. When my blood pressure was taken it was high and there was protein in my urine. The doctor came in and said {in a voice that had no kindness in it} that I had to go to the lab for tests immediately and if they came back negative I had to be induced that night, and I was going on bed rest!!! At this point I was crying! {1. I am pregnant and therefore carry a special card to cry whenever I want and 2. That was a lot of scary information to hear at one time and I was worried.} The doctor just looked at me and said, " Well, why are you crying?!" As if there should be no reason to be crying over this news.
All the labs were closed so I was sent to the hospital for the lab work. Which meant putting on a gown, and getting wrist bands put in and getting hooked up with the baby heart rate monitor {good practice for the real thing!}. Two hours later after getting blood drawn, and giving a urine sample, and monitoring my blood pressure, the nurse tells me I am just fine, BUT I still have to stay on bed rest just in case my blood pressure goes up again until I see my doctor again on Friday. Really!?!? There are two days of school left, the very last two days of school!!!
I am a "cross my T's and dot my I's" kind of gal so the thought of having to call in sick for the last two days was a little frustrating. I DID NOT prepare for this! {In my past three years of teaching I have NEVER called in sick...EVER} I wasn't worried about my health or the baby's health. Oh no, I was worried about who was going to take my classes the next day and put in all of the students' exam grades and final grades, and when I was going to get back to my classroom to finish packing up my room for the summer. I seriously considered just going to work anyway and forgetting about the bed rest. But, I didn't. I listened to the doctor's orders and stayed home all day Tuesday and all day Wednesday.
I saw MY doctor again Friday morning and was perfectly healthy. The most frustrating part is the nurse at the hospital said if I had seen my doctor in the first place he probably wouldn't have put me on bed rest as he is a lot more laid back than Dr. No Sympathy!
So, Mike Tyson, you are right...I had a plan, but then got punched in the face!! One of the first things I need to start realizing is my life isn't going to go according to plan, especially now that I have a kid on the way. And I better get used to calling in sick if I do decide to go back to work next year.
On a side note, school is officially out for the summer which means no more pencils, no more books, and no more student's dirty looks!!
Let the dog-days of summer begin...at least until the baby comes :)
wow, i would be so mad at my doctor if he said that!! what a jerk!! at least you have another doctor!!! terry told me that you were on bedrest and it freaked me out, i was so worried! thank goodness everything is fine now...now im just hoping baby mase will get here soon! i want to meet this handsome little devil & so does kruz!!! :)
ReplyDeleteIck, I'm sorry you had such a grumpy conservative doctor. I'm glad you're ok though. People who unnecessarily stress pregnant women are awful.
ReplyDeleteOH, what fun to sit and catch up on your blog this morning. Wow, Dr. NO-sympathy was a terrible experience! Sorry you had to miss your last 2 days of teaching. I hope all the details were able to get worked out with grades being posted and such. Lots of work as a teacher...I admire you! You are such a cute prego-mommy! Can't wait to see pictures of your cute baby soon :)
ReplyDelete