8.1.11

UNLV basketball

Ryan and I went to the UNLV vs. BYU Basketball game last week. I was wearing my Rebel red and Ryan had on his BYU shirt. I am a student at UNLV now, my dad went to UNLV, and having been born and raised in Henderson, I consider myself a Rebel fan. So, we walk into the game just as they are starting the fireworks show and introducing the players (a really cool tradition, if you've never seen it, they turn the lights off and play the fight song. It makes you get really pumped for the game). The stadium was packed with fans, both young and old. Some wearing blue, but the majority had red on. Just as the game is about to begin the whole student section, which we were sitting in, starts chanting, "F*** you, BYU." I was appalled, to say the least. Both Ryan and I looked at each other and remarked how classless they were making UNLV look. This is a family sporting event. I look around and see kids and families. My nine year old nephew was in the crowd. This happened a few times throughout the game. I am shocked, disgusted and upset at the UNLV fans who felt it necessary to chant such vulgar language in a public arena. I get that there will be annoying, drunk fans who choose to yell out all kinds of swear words, but for a whole section of fans to be yelling that, it is disgraceful.

UNLV Athletic Department: You need to address this! What does that say about the integrity of the school to let the whole student section use that kind of profanity? I walked out of the stadium that night ashamed to be wearing red.

2 comments:

  1. I don't get the vehement hatred UNLV has for BYU. As a Cougar alum who also happens to be a major Runnin' Rebel fan, I dread these meetings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Megan, that is so horrible! I havn't ever been in a situation like that before at a sporting event. Way bad taste! I am glad that you wrote about it and are getting it out there so that something can be addressed in the future to prevent this type of behavior.

    ReplyDelete