I emailed UNLV in regards to the game I went to a few weeks back (see my previous post). And they actually responded. I am a little surprised I heard back from them. below is the email. I had also emailed a couple of the news stations, but never heard a thing. It is nice to know that the university sees this as wrong and is wanting to try and do something about it. Maybe the students won't change a thing, but it makes me feel better to know I didn't stay quiet about it.
Good morning Megan,
I apologize for the delay in this email. Just wanted to get back to you regarding your email about the actions of some in the student section during the recent BYU-UNLV game.
Please know that your concerns were shared by many and those inside the athletics department as well as leadership within the University reacted immediately to work with student leadership in addressing the situation. While we don't pretend that we can control everything in such an environment, we too believe in protecting the integrity of our games and maintaining their family-friendly environment... I would also like to point out - as most people did not see this - that is was UNLV president Neal Smatresk himself who personally went to the student section to put a stop to the chat. He took immediate action and it paid off... As an alum, I can tell you we are fortunate to have him here.
For what it is worth, your concerns hit home with me as well. My wife and I sit a couple of sections away from the student section with our 9 and 7 year olds. Like you, we too were embarrassed and offended as our children looked at us wondering what was being said. My wife and I both have two degrees from this great university and it was a tough moment, for sure.
That said, the student crowds have grown over the past 3-4 seasons and have made the energy in the T&M electric on many occasions. The actions during the BYU game are not typical and we are hoping to avoid such issues in the future. We are urging them to stay positive as we continue to create a great atmosphere in the T&M for our team and our fans.
I hope, in someway, this email helps you to know that we are not accepting of this type of behavior at all and actions were taken immediately.
Thank you for your continued support and we surely hope this occurrence does not keep you from coming back to support our student-athletes. Have a great week, Megan. Go Rebels!
D.J.
Oh, I'm so glad that they responded back to your letter. I really apprecited that they were just as upset as you were feeling. I still can't believe that the student body would act that way. It's so terrible! Good for you to write letters and get your thoughts out there so that it can bring positive change -
ReplyDeleteGood for you, Megan! I agree with everything Lisa said in her comment! Miss you guys!
ReplyDeleteWOW!!!! i had goosebumps when i read this! You did so good by standing up for what was right in that situation. The letter you wrote was awesome. I even had to show Adam. My jaw dropped when I saw what the students did. We went to a BYU/UNLV football game a couple years ago and they were all chanting "BYU sucks". And I turned around and talked back at those who were saying that. But THIS? This is ridiculously wrong. GO MEGAN!
ReplyDelete