{I can't get enough of those chubby cheeks}
Mason LOVES his pootie (that's what we call his pacifier). He won't go down for a nap without it, and if it falls out he cries and cries. Sometimes I'm nice and put it back in and sometimes I'm mean and let him cry himself to sleep :)
Mason is such a good sleeper. I have to wake him up from pretty much every nap during the day to feed him. I am trying to get him on a feed/wake/sleep cycle. Eating usually puts him right to sleep, so sometimes I have to fight to keep him awake after a feeding. He does great at night. Seriously, I think I have the best kid ever. We usually feed him between 9:30 and 10. He goes right to sleep and then doesn't wake up for 5, sometimes even 6 hours. I hope he keeps this up. I'm enjoying the sleep it gives me.
I've been putting more effort into breast feeding then I ever thought I would. I've been to a lactation consultant a few times, got a nipple shield, and rented a pump. I'm even taking herbal supplements like 5 times a day. But all to no avail. He still eats formula at every feeding. I'm still hoping that one of these days there will just be enough to feed him. Funny how things change. I never thought giving my kid formula would make me feel guilty. Actually, breast feeding didn't appeal to me at all. But now that I'm a mother the thought of him being on formula makes me want to cry. I know he will grow to be perfectly healthy on formula, and just like the doctor told us, all that matters is that he is gaining weight. But why do I feel so guilty??
I've been putting more effort into breast feeding then I ever thought I would. I've been to a lactation consultant a few times, got a nipple shield, and rented a pump. I'm even taking herbal supplements like 5 times a day. But all to no avail. He still eats formula at every feeding. I'm still hoping that one of these days there will just be enough to feed him. Funny how things change. I never thought giving my kid formula would make me feel guilty. Actually, breast feeding didn't appeal to me at all. But now that I'm a mother the thought of him being on formula makes me want to cry. I know he will grow to be perfectly healthy on formula, and just like the doctor told us, all that matters is that he is gaining weight. But why do I feel so guilty??
Aw, he's such a cutie. I love your name for a binkie; how nice he'll take one.
ReplyDeleteDon't feel guilty about not breast-feeding! I know it's tough as a new mom to think you're not doing something everyone else says is a must, but new moms have enough anxiety without worrying about something we can't control (i.e. whether we're able to breast-feed). As the discharge doctor told me, "We push and push breast-feeding. But as long as you feed your child, she's going to be fine." If formula takes away the stress of constantly trying to breast-feed, that's a major plus. Society (and some insensitive moms and lactation consultants) tells you you're a bad mom for not breast-feeding. But a good mom does what's best for herself and her baby. Period. And if that means formula, do it and stop beating yourself up. Dang hormones. :)
Can you see I feel passionately about this subject?
After the first 5 weeks of pumping for Nadine (yup, she had bottles from day 3, after literally starving for the first 2 days because I tried so hard to only breast-feed), I finally just put her on a Similac-only diet. And she's fine. And she's actually fairly intelligent. And she bonded with me, right from the start.
HAng in there Megan... Some breast milk is better than none! You are such a good mom already!! It was so fun getting together and talking about everything. We should do that more often!
ReplyDelete