Because one of my new year goals is to try new recipes I decided to try my hand at making a cake from scratch. My sister and her family and parents came over for dinner Saturday night so I thought that would be a good time to try it out. (By the way, we had pulled pork sammies and they were DE-LISH --finger lickin' good! Especially with my brother's homemade rub and b-b-Que sauce.) Anyways, so I learned that there is a reason cake mixes from the grocery store are so popular...making it from scratch is so gosh darn hard. I thought the hard part was over until I went to frost it. I was in the middle of making the frosting when I realized I didn't have enough powdered sugar. A cookbook I have says that you can substitute powdered sugar with granulated sugar and cornstarch. That is either a lie or it doesn't work for frosting because I tried it and my frosting was really grainy like it was made with granulated sugar (oh wait, it was). So, I drove to the store and bought store bought frosting.
 |
I like this shot because you can't tell it turned out looking like the leaning tower of Pisa.
|
It was a good experience and I did learn a few things:
1. It is best to use powdered sugar when the recipe calls for powdered sugar.
2. You can mix milk with lemon juice to make buttermilk.
3. Betty Crocker does it best.
However, a cake from scratch tastes way better than from a box. :) Way to go, Megan, for going the extra mile--it was delicious!
ReplyDelete